Thursday, April 30, 2009

Getting Started

Sorry to make another post involving motocross, but right now there is not much more I can think about. So today my post is going to be on dirt bike riding gear and accessories.

First I want to start off with the basic proper safety equipment.

Helmets are key and could save you from serious crashes, they range anywhere from $89-$600.
With this you get what you pay for and I would recommend a higher end helmet like a Shoei, Arai, or Bell. I mean come on it is your head and you can choose on how valuable it is to you.

Next would probably be boots, which can help ankle injuries, and or leg/calf injuries. Again they range from $120-$550 and yes you do get what you pay for. Higher end boots like the Alpinestar Tech 8 or 10s both have an inner bootie for extra support. My recommendation would either be Alpinestar Tech 8 or 10 or the Gaerne SG 10 or 12's.

Those are the basics to get you started but you should probably think about the right gear to wear, and by gear I mean riding pants, jersey, and gloves. All of these are designed for extreme conditions in a crash and are made to be fire resistant. A good set of gear for everything I listed usually runs between $150-$200.

You are going to need something to keep the dirt out of your eyes and for this they make goggles. Goggles also vary on price from $20-$100 with the more expensive ones having more options. I would recommend the Scott XI No Sweat goggles for all types of riding. They have excellent ventilation and comfy foam around the liner.

The last thing I am going to mention is not a necessity, but I highly would recommend getting one. Within the last couple years major improvements have been made on limiting the neck movement that causes paralysis and or death. Leatt has come out with a neck brace similar to what they use in NASCAR, Indy Car, and most other major motorsports. They range anywhere from $225-$1000 each with more adjustments and carbon fiber!

I will get back with more specific gear and accessories to keep you safe and your bike running the way it should!

1 comment:

  1. you forgot to recomend the spiffy underthings that keep your special parts from chaffing

    ReplyDelete